Sunday, August 16, 2009

Squid-3 isn't a rewrite!

G'day,

There seems to be this strange misconception that Squid-3 is a "rewrite" of Squid in C++. I am not sure where this particular little tidbit gets copy/pasted from but just for the record:

Squid-3 is the continuation of Squid-2.5, made to compile using the GNU C++ compiler. It is not a rewrite.

If Squid-3 -were- a rewrite, and the resultant code -was- as much of a crappy-performing, bastardised C/C++ hybrid, then I'd have suggested the C++ coders in question need to relearn C++. Luckily for them, the codebase is a hybrid of C and C++ because it did just start as a C codebase with bits and pieces part-migrated to C++.

1 comment:

  1. I think I just found the source of the "rewrite" claim. From the Squid 3.0 release notes:

    * Convert core squid source to C++ (Robert Collins).

    I can see how this could be misunderstood to be a "rewrite in C++"

    ReplyDelete